We all want to live “healthier” lives right? But what I see over and over again is how we mommas really beat ourselves up about what we “should” be doing to live healthier. Maybe it’s time to redefine what “healthy” realistically means for YOU!
We need to acknowledge and embrace the reality that taking “a one size fits all” approach doesn’t work for everyone. Just because it’s the latest craze,… or because mommas you know are all doing it,… or maybe it seems to provide a quick fix, doesn’t mean it’s the right approach for YOU. Ultimately being healthier is about what habits/routines you commit to that can evolve as life evolves so that it becomes sustainable. If what you decide to do to be healthier is something that you cannot do consistently it’s time to reevaluate. It’s time to face the truth while also not being so hard on ourselves!
So what is the message I am trying to hit home here? That you need to define what “being healthier” means for you and here’s a shocker….it’s not only about eating and exercising! So let’s challenge ourselves to think differently about how we can be healthier.
If you change the way you look at things…the things you look at will change!
The beginning of the year is one where we place a lot of extra pressure on ourselves to set resolutions. How about we set intentions instead? An intention is much more rooted in your WHY and can really help drive your actions.
So…how can we do this exactly? I truly believe that it begins with really digging deep to understand what really motivates and drives us in order to know what we will be able to commit to. What is your “WHY?” At first you might not have a deep rooted one, but that’s ok. Over time that can become deeper.
Once you can truly determine your WHY you can then decide what to do that can help you evolve a healthier lifestyle that is sustainable. And if you don’t have a clue about what to do here are some ways I have learned that can help us start to rethink what “healthier” can be for us.
1. Pray/meditate more. These are both amazing ways to help manage the stress in our lives and reconnect with your faith. This world we are living in is not an easy one and I truly believe that we need to be more grounded in our faith and prayer to not get swallowed hole by everything happening around us!
2. Being more mindful. More mindful of everything we do! It sounds super simple BUT it’s a great way to learn more about yourself so you can make different choices. Choices that will have a healthier ripple affect in all areas of your life.
3. Don’t get stuck on the idea that only exercise is the way to achieve a healthier lifestyle! You can aim to drink more water or eat more plant-based foods. You can decide to only eat out once a month instead of every week. You can work on getting more sleep! These all are great habits that can help you feel healthier overall.
4. If you do want to exercise, but realistically cannot commit to 30 or 60 minutes at a time, try to break up exercises throughout your day in 5 to 10 minute increments. Doing something is way healthier than doing nothing at all!
5. If you really struggle with not wanting to give up your favorite foods…try to track and portion your food instead. This way you don’t deprive yourself, but also are not overdoing it to the point where you lose control over what you are eating.
6. It’s ok to say NO. You don’t have to go to every social gathering or volunteer for every activity at your child’s school. Learning to set boundaries is a great way to respect your time, your energy and your purpose. Not everything we do serves us best, and learning that is a big way to protect your overall health!
7. Carve out “unplugged” time with family and friends. You will survive without your phone glued to your hand. This will help you be more present with those you love and will strengthen your relationships. Unplugging is a great way to recharge yourself! Plus you’re doing yourself a favor in shutting off your phone now and then and helping to combat the side effects of smart phone usage.
8. Make time for self care….whether that is soaking in a warm bath with your favorite essential oils, whether that is getting your nails or hair done, or getting a massage. The point here is that carving out time for just YOU helps YOU recharge so YOU can deliver the best version of yourself in all areas of your life. Want more ideas? Check out our article – Self-Care for Busy Moms.
You only have one mind, one body, one soul and you shouldn’t spend your time and energy beating it up. Let’s really redefine what living “healthier” means. And the end of the day you will ultimately do what YOU realistically can and want to do. Just make sure you make doing something daily for yourself a priority and that will develop into a healthier and happier lifestyle!